From Edinburgh: Outlander Adventure Day Tour210 Reviews
Visit three castles and an exceptionally well-preserved village on this adventure through the sights and stories of Outlander. On this time-traveling adventure you'll discover that the real locations and history are just as exciting as the show itself.
- Visit some of the most memorable locations featured in the Outlander series
- Learn about the history that inspired the famous show
- Explore the 16th century village of Culross, also known as Cranesmuir
- See Doune Castle, a stunning place that you'll recognise as Castle Leoch
DescriptionAfter leaving Edinburgh at 9:15 AM you will travel back in time as your driver guides you over the Queensferry Crossing to Culross. This virtually-unchanged 16th century village overlooks the sea and poses as the fictional town of Cranesmuir. You have time to visit Claire’s herb garden, explore the palace, or wander the ancient streets while you imagine what life must have been like 400 years ago. You will journey past Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument to Doune Castle, or as it’s called in Outlander, Castle Leoch. This formidable building gives you an insight into the living conditions of a Scottish earl in the 14th century. You can also listen to an excellent audio guide about how this castle was used as a filming location for Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Your next stop is Linlithgow Palace. Here you have time to enjoy beautiful views to the Forth bridges, have a picnic by the loch, and explore the ruins of Mary Queen of Scots’ birthplace. If you’re feeling brave, you can visit the spot where that gruesome Outlander scene took place. You then travel the short distance to Blackness Castle. It’s an impressive castle that’s known as the ‘ship that never sailed’ because it resembles a giant stone boat. You have time to walk along the ramparts and explore the fictional headquarters of Jack Randall. Midhope Castle is your next highlight. Unfortunately, visitors are unable to go inside the castle, but Jamie’s lovely Lallybroch home is still an essential photo opportunity for any fan of the show. Before heading back to Edinburgh, you will have a final stop in the colorful harbor area of South Queensferry, and will return to Edinburgh by approximately 5:45 PM.
IncludesTransportation by top of the range 16-seat Mercedes mini-coach Story telling from a professional driver/guide Hotel pick-up and drop off Food and drinks Gratuities (optional)
- Waterproof clothing and comfortable shoes are recommended
- Minimum age is 5 years
- You're restricted to 14kg (31 lbs) of luggage per person on this tour. This should be one piece of luggage similar to an airline carry-on bag (approximately 55cm x 45cm x 25cm / 22in x 17in x 10in) plus a small bag for onboard personal items.
- Please note that Midhope Castle will be closed on the following dates and no visit or photo stop will be possible: November 5, 13, 19, and 30, 2019, and December 3 and 14, 2019 • Midhope Castle closes for the season on December 21, 2019 therefore this tour will not visit Midhope Castle until it reopens in April 2020 (exact date to be announced); during this winter closure, you will spend more time enjoying the other locations on this tour
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability