Viking Coast and Alnwick Castle Small Group Day Tour161 Reviews
Accompanied by traditional and contemporary music, explore Holy Island, the site of the first Viking invasion of Britain and Alnwick Castle, the film site of Downton Abbey and Harry Potter, before returning north to Edinburgh via the beautiful Borders.
- Visit Holy Island overlooking the beautiful Northumberland coastline
- Have fun at Alnwick Castle, the Windsor of the North
- Go with costumed guides on a historical and magical tour of Alnwick Castle
DescriptionFollow the sweeping coastline of the North Sea on a scenic drive towards the historic border town of Berwick-on-Tweed. Cross the ancient Scotland/England border into Northumberland and visit Lindisfarne, or Holy Island, a tidal island settled by Irish monks from Scotland circa AD 635. From here the Christian message spread throughout the north of England. In 793 a fierce Viking invasion heralded the beginning of the Viking Age. Take a short walk through an area of outstanding natural beauty to 16th century Lindisfarne Castle, and visit the Priory where the Lindisfarne Gospels were created and enjoy the spectacular views of Bamburgh Castle and the Farne Islands. You may also wish to buy some delicious souvenir Lindisfarne Mead from St Aidan’s Winery. Arrive back at Alnwick Castle at lunchtime after a short drive. This magical place (the 'Windsor of the North') is one of Europe’s finest castles and has been at the center of key historical events – from bloodthirsty battles between the Scots and the English to the intrigues of the Guy Fawkes plot. Alnwick Castle's sumptuous setting and exquisite architecture has famously been used as a film location for ‘Downton Abbey’, 'Harry Potter' (Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry), 'Robin Hood Prince of Thieves', 'Elizabeth' and 'Blackadder'. Enjoy ‘Harry Spotter Tours’ and revisit some of your favorite scenes. Go with costumed guides on a historical and magical tour. Be sure to check the events board on entry to make the most of your time. With fun and interactive activities for children, you'll have 2.5 hours to fully appreciate and enjoy the castle. The tour returns north via the beautiful Border country and, subject to timing, may also visit the East Lothian coast to the south of Edinburgh.
IncludesGroup tour (maximum 16 passengers) Live commentary on board Driver/guide Transport by comfortable Mercedes mini-coach Entrance fees (25% Alnwick Castle discount price available from your guide) Food and drinks Gratuities (optional)
- The guides can offer special 25% discount prices to the castle Cancellations and refunds Where the passenger cancels a tour reservation, the effective date of cancellation will be the date on which notification is received by telephone, email or in writing. Your notice of cancellation must be confirmed (in writing or verbally) by the tour operator to be effective. No refunds are offered if a customer is late for a tour/cannot find the pick-up point.
- Please note, children under 5 years of age are not allowed on this tour In the event of a tour being canceled by the tour operator, clients will be promptly informed and offered:
- a transfer to a substitute tour or an alternative tour
- a full refund
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY