Edinburgh Old Town and Underground Historical Tour158 Reviews
Join a local published historian around Edinburgh’s famous Royal Mile and visit its Underground Vaults. Learn about some of Edinburgh’s fascinating history, literary heroes, infamous criminals and the battles that shaped the city into what is today.
- Be led around Edinburgh's Old Town by a local published historian
- Gain exclusive access into Edinburgh's Underground Vaults
- Explore Edinburgh's long and fascinating past
- Visit some of the Old Town's hidden closes and historical sites
- Enjoy our professional, informative and engaging tour
DescriptionThe historical tour begins at the Old Police Box on Edinburgh's Royal Mile, where you will be met by a local historian and proceed straight into the Underground Vaults. Edinburgh's Underground is over 400 years old and is full of fascinating history, all of which the guide will share with you. After visiting the Underground Vaults, your guide will take you all around Edinburgh's Royal Mile and Old Town, visiting some hidden closes and other spots of historical significance. Delve into parts of Edinburgh that you did not know existed, mostly off the tourist trail. Hear that the first skyscrapers in the world were built in Edinburgh, discover the identity of the local criminal who became the inspiration for Jekyll and Hyde, learn where the phrase 'Black Market' came from, where Ebeneezer Scrooge is buried – yes, really – and how Edinburgh University worked closely with the serial killers Burke and Hare. Edinburgh’s history is long and fascinating, made even more special when told by our enthusiastic, passionate and local guide.
IncludesExpert guide Entry into Edinburgh's Underground Vaults
- Entry into the Underground involves walking down eight steps. Please note that the minimum age for this tour is 5 years old.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability