From Edinburgh: Orkney and The Far North 5-Day Tour3 Reviews
Explore the stunning scenery and wildlife of the magical Orkney Islands on this 5-day tour. Heading north from Edinburgh, pass through the breathtaking Scottish Islands on your way to the world-famous historical sites of the Orkney Islands.
- Admire the breathtaking scenery of Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park
- Pass through Glen Coe, Fort William, and the Great Glen on your way to Loch Ness
- Visit the Italian Chapel, the Churchill Barriers, Maeshowe chambered cairn, and Skara Brae on the Orkney Islands
- Explore St Magnus Cathedral, the Standing Stones of Stenness, and the Ring of Brodgar
- Explore Inverness, the capital of the Highlands
DescriptionThe 5-day tour from Edinburgh takes you on a discovery of the Scottish Highlands and the Orkney Islands. Heading north from Scotland’s capital city, you can admire the breathtaking scenery of the Scottish Highlands and explore the history of the Orkney Islands. On day 1, travel north to Loch Ness. The spectacular tour starts by heading west through the beautiful scenery of Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. The route then takes you through the haunting landscape of Glen Coe, the scene of the terrible massacre of the MacDonald Clan, and on through Fort William and the Great Glen to arrive at the fabled shores of Loch Ness. Stay overnight at Drumnadrochit. On day 2, head north via Inverness and the spectacular coastal scenery of the Moray and Cromarty Firths. Then, board the ferry for a memorable trip to the mysterious and magical Orkney Islands. Once you arrive, take in the stunning scenery and start exploring. Visit the beautiful Italian Chapel, which was built by Italian prisoners of war, as well as the famous Churchill Barriers – causeways that were constructed to protect the British naval fleet from submarines. Stay overnight at Kirkwall. On day 3, explore the ancient history of the islands. From your base in Kirkwall, which boasts many craft and gift shops to explore, spend the whole day exploring the islands. This is a land full of ancient history and you will be able to take in prehistoric marvels such as the Maeshowe chambered cairn, the world-famous Neolithic village of Skara Brae, and the brooding stone circles of Stenness and the Ring of Brodgar. The day will finish with a visit to the beautiful St Magnus Cathedral. Stay overnight at Kirkwall. On day 4, return via Inverness, Culloden, and the Cairngorms. The last day starts with a ferry ride back to the mainland. Then you will get the chance to take in Inverness, the capital of the Highlands. Stay overnight in Inverness. On day 5, head back to Edinburgh. On the way, visit the battlefield of Culloden, the site of the defeat of the Jacobite forces. You will also pass the stunning Cairngorm Mountains and explore the picturesque town of Pitlochry.
IncludesTransportation English-speaking driver/guide 4 nights accommodation 4 breakfasts Ferry crossing Meal other than breakfast Admissions
- Children under 3 years old are not allowed on the tour.
- Price is per person in a shared twin room in a B&B. A single supplement applies.
- Please note that the Maeshowe chambered cairn and the world-famous Neolithic village of Skara Brae on day 3, and the battlefield of Culloden on day 5 are optional extras.
- The maximum luggage weight is 15 kg, the maximum size is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. You may bring one small carry-on per person.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY