My Guide Website?
From Edinburgh: West Highlands, Lochs, and Castles Tour403 Reviews BEST SELLER
Discover the lochs and castles of Scotland’s West Highlands on a scenic day tour from Edinburgh. See Doune Castle, Callander, and Loch Lomond as you learn about Scotland’s folklore and history.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Edinburgh:If youʻre booking your trip to Edinburgh last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Discover the beauty of Scotland's Western Highlands on a day tour from Edinburgh
- Admire the sight of some of Scotlands most beautiful loch, castles, and villages
- Visit Doune Castle, a location for many scenes from Monty Python's Holy Grail
- Enjoy the beautiful views on a scenic drive through Loch Lomond National Park
- Visit the charming and historic towns of Callander, Balquhidder, and Inveraray
DescriptionDiscover the stunning scenery and historic landmarks of the West Highlands of Scotland on a day tour from Edinburgh. Find out more about Scottish history and culture as you explore Doune Castle, Loch Lubnai, the town of Inveraray, and iconic Loch Lomond. Meet your guide and board the bus in central Edinburgh. Travel west out of the city and enjoy the scenery as you pass Stirling Castle on your way to your first stop at Doune Castle. Admire the sight of the imposing Doune Castle*, which has been standing for 600 years. You can choose to visit the inside on the day. If you’re a fan of Monty Python and The Holy Grail, The Outlaw King, or the Outlander series, you can learn about how the castle was used as a filming location. Continue on your adventure through the charming town of Callander and cross the Highland Boundary Fault Line. Leave behind the rolling hills of farmland for the wild mountains and forests of the Highlands. Make a short stop at Loch Lubnaig and continue over the Braes of Balquhidder. From Balquhidder, the tour winds its way through the tough knot of mountains known as Breadalbane (meaning the 'high country of Scotland'). Before lunch, you have a photo stop to take in the sight of Kilchurn Castle, a magnificent ruin situated on the edge of Loch Awe and former home of the Campbells of Breadalbane. Travel by the banks of Loch Awe through Campbell country to the picturesque town of Inveraray on the shores of Loch Fyne. Here you can admire the 18th-century castle (open to visitors from April until October), take time to explore the town, or head to the Old Jail. Leaving Inveraray, drive up through the steep-sided mountains known as the Arrochar Alps to the great viewpoint at 'Rest and Be Thankful'. Skirt around Loch Long and then down to the 'Bonnie, Bonnie Banks' of Loch Lomond. Visit the conservation village of Luss, where you can wander around taking in its quaint houses and stunning views across the loch. From here, relax on the return journey back to Edinburgh, arriving in the capital in the early evening. *Please note that Doune Castle is closed from 8th January - 21st February 2024. We will instead take you to Stirling Castle. We apologise for the inconvenience.
IncludesDay tour Tour guide Transportation during the activity
- Doune Castle entrance is included in the tour price. * We're sorry but Doune Castle is closed on 2nd January 2024 and no alternative castle visit is possible. If you want to see Doune Castle, please pick another date. **Please note that Doune Castle is closed from 8th January - 21st February 2024. We will instead take you to Stirling Castle. We apologise for the inconvenience. ***As Inveraray Castle may be sometimes closed, please refer to their website to see their availability. You are restricted to 14 kg (31 lbs) of luggage per person on the tour. This should be one piece of luggage similar to an airline carry-on bag (approximately 22x17x10 inches) plus a small bag for onboard personal items