Isle of Skye and the Highlands 5-Day Tour from Edinburgh1 Reviews
Spend 5 days experiencing Scotland’s breathtaking best. You’ll see the dramatic mountain scenery of Assynt, the remote white sand beaches of the northern highlands, the ancient pine forests of the Cairngorms, and the stark beauty of the Isle of Skye.
- Visit Loch Insh and the world-famous Loch Ness
- Keep an eye out for wildlife in the far northern highlands
- Marvel at the spectacular views from Bealach nam Bo
- See the Eilean Donan Castle, used in filming the movie Highlander
DescriptionExperience the dramatic landscapes of the Scottish Highlands and the Isle of Skye on a 5-day tour from Edinburgh. Visit historic sites and discover remote sandy beaches. Marvel at stunning seascapes and enjoy exploring picturesque villages. Travel in comfort in a small group, enjoying personalized attention and accommodation in guesthouses and B&Bs. Detailed Itinerary Day 1 Head north over the Forth Road Bridge to the charming highland village of Dunkeld on the banks of the river Tay, and then into the Cairngorm National Park and to the ancient pine forests of the Rothiemurchus Estate. After lunch you’ll spend time on the shores of Loch Insh and then take a short forest walk to the ruins of Loch an Eilean castle. Panoramic views of Loch Ness follow as you travel down to the banks of the famous loch to village of Dores where you can do some Nessie spotting! Overnight in Ullapool. Day 2 Visit the highlands of the far north-west and marvel the grandeur and expanse of the Mountains of Assynt. This was the first crofting area to be bought by local crofters – the Assynt Crofters’ Trust. See the ruins of the 15th-century Ardvreck Castle, once the stronghold of the MacLeods of Assynt. See some of Europe’s oldest landscapes, from the stunning white sand beach at Achmelvich Bay to the traditional fishing village of Lochinver. Be on the lookout for wildlife throughout the day. Overnight in Ullapool. Day 3 You’ll head south from Ullapool to take in the drama of the River Droma as it plunges 60 meters down into the Corrieshalloch Gorge. Travel past the mountains of the Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve and along the picturesque coastline of Loch Torridon. The tranquil setting of Applecross is your destination for lunch. Experience a drive on one of the highest roads in Scotland, Bealach nam Bo, known for its jaw-dropping views, hairpin bends, and precipitous cliffs. In the afternoon you’ll stop in Plockton, where you can see palm trees growing alongside Loch Carron. Then it’s over the sea to Skye and the delightful harbor town of Portree. Day 4 Enjoy a flexible day on Skye. Depending on the prevailing conditions you might travel north to the stunning Quiraing mountain pass and enjoy a spectacular walk through some of Skye’s extraordinary geological scenery. You might visit the Kilt Rock, composed of basalt columns, with water cascading over the cliffs and down into the sea below. After lunch you might travel to Neist Point for a walk out to the lighthouse at the most westerly point on Skye. Alternatively your driver/guide might choose a visit to Dunvegan Castle, the ancient ancestral seat of the Clan McLeod. Return to Portree for a free evening and to your overnight accommodation. Day 5 Travel south from Skye, making a stop at the famed Eilean Donan Castle, situated at the head of 3 lochs as protection against Viking raiders. The stronghold was used in the filming of the movie Highlander. Continue eastward through the rugged mountains of Kintail, past Britain’s highest mountain, Ben Nevis. You’ll stop in Fort William for lunch. In the afternoon you’ll explore spectacular Glencoe, scene of the massacre of the Clan Macdonald in 1692, before stopping in Killin for refreshments beside the Falls of Dochart.
IncludesTour transport in a top-of-the-range 16-seat Mercedes mini-coach Driver/guide 4 nights accommodation in a bed and breakfast Lunch and dinner Refreshments Entry/Admission fees to visitor attractions
- Please note the following:
- The operator believes a small group tour, with a maximum of 16 participants, really does make a big difference to your trip, offering a more personal service. This is the only 5-star operator to offer this guarantee
- Because the operator believes that you should have time off the bus and the opportunity to take nature walks, suitable clothing and footwear for these walks is recommended
- Small, locally owned guesthouses and B&Bs are used for accommodation. All rooms are ensuite. Note that the guesthouses may be a short walk from the city center. For individual travellers please select the single accommodation option. For 2 people travelling together please choose the shared double option
- Minimum age to participate is 5 years
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY